In an acupuncture clinic we often spend time with people who are experiencing new beginnings.
Whether a new beginnings is
- Something we chose for example a new diet plan to lose weight, a fitness plan to gain function or
- Something we didn't choose for example the loss of a loved one, an injury or illness.
there is an art to navigating new beginnings. We have gathered some tried and tested techniques to support new beginnings..
- Allow Time - Change happens at it's own rate. You can argue my logic on this one but whilst we have methods of supporting change we don't really have methods to accelerate it. Prepare to be patient.
- Allow Space - Change can only occur where there is space for change (sounds simple). Creating space for change may include letting go of previous views of ourselves, allowing for change in your physical environment or your long held beliefs
- Gather Support - New beginnings may require new resources and support. Coaches, counsellors and acupuncturists are great resources to help with new beginnings. Even if you don't need help it may just be more fun to share the journey.
Most of all be aware that new beginnings take energy and attention and some new beginnings can be quite challenging.
We may not be competent in a new beginning straight away. It may take time to learn new skills and how to apply them. It may feel overwhelming (especially when a new beginning is not of our choosing).
Of course the pay off for navigating a new beginning is moving into ease with a new situation..