We often hear discussion of chronic pain, chronic illness or chronic fatigue in the media. What about chronic happiness?
Can happiness become automatic? In the past I've heard that any practice maintained for 21 days becomes a habit - good or bad.
So if we move our focus to happiness for 21 days can happiness become chronic. The research seems to indicate so.
So how do we do 21 days of happiness. Here's some ideas:
- Look after the basics - eat foods that support you, be adequately hydrated, address any physical issues such as pain, tension.
- Schedule enough time for adequate sleep and arrange your bedroom to encourage sleep - reduce the electronics, ensure the room is dark, ensure the temperature is appropriate for you, have pillows that support your neck effectively.
- Set up happiness reminders - 1 per day to remind you to be happy (some day's you might need a reminder).
- Schedule happy activities - a walk, massage, a sleep in, a random day off work with no plans.
- Keep a gratitude list or diary of things you are thankful for.
- Contact people on the gratitude list to express your gratitude.
Worth a try?